Monday, September 6, 2010

Ricky Tims Super Seminar Cape Cod and Convergence Quilt

It's been over 5 months since I posted anything! Time flies. I am getting comfortable in my new job and have not had a lot of time to quilt. But this past weekend I had the wonderful experience of attending the Ricky Tims Super Seminar  in Hyannis MA (Cape Cod).
My friend Carol and I signed up for this seminar almost a year ago - as soon as it was available.At the last minute another quilting friend, Mary Ann came with us too. We were fortunate to be able to stay with my parents who live on the Cape - so we didn't have to pay to stay in a hotel.

 It was in INCREDIBLE experience. You don't sew the whole 2.5 days, but you come away with a text book of great information from

  • Ricky Tims
  • Alex Anderson
  • Libby Lehman
They are incredible, approachable teachers. You get to see their quilts up close and personal at the quilt show of their work that is displayed at the seminar.
You can get anything autographed - the syllabus - which is actually the textbook of information you walk away with, books you purchase, patterns etc. 
I brought my copy of The Quilt Life - Alex & Ricky's new magazine, in which Libby is a contributing columnist and all three signed that too.
We survived the non-event of hurricane Earl - it ended up being just a bad rain storm in the middle of Friday night.
But most importantly the techniques you are exposed to blow you away. Add that to Ricky's concert - because of the hurricane concern on Friday night , Ricky revamped and we got the concert in pieces throughout the seminar.
I came home and immediately made a convergence quilt. The center of the quilt - the "converged" part, starting with 15" squares took only  90 minutes - I've never made any quilt component in 90 minutes!!
Ricky and Justing bring all their fabrics, books, patterns, CDs(quilt and music) etc. Alex brings her books and patterns and her husband John is there to show everyone http://www.thequiltshow.com/.  Libby's books and patterns are sold in Ricky's store front. Also there was a Bernina Dealer ( Blaines' from RI).
Everything you could want at a quilting seminar and I didn't have to schlep my sewing machine!

Here are my convergence quilt pictures - I have to pick an inner border. I am pretty sure I know what I want for the outer border.
The first strip set assembled.
My First Convergence!
I will post the top when it is done. I learned so much about quilting the top, that will come in handy too.
Peace
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment