Monday, January 21, 2013

My "One Handed" Quilt

The day after Hurricane Sandy I had hand surgery. It's called CMC Arthroplasty. Those of you with very painful arthritic thumbs may have heard about it. Like many of us, I thought, "I'll do so much while I'm recovering". Ha Ha! My right hand was in a full surgical cast and wrapped up to my mid-arm. And I had a debilitating cold (that later turned into walking pneumonia). But after about 5 days, and the pain was manageable, there were only so many books I could read and walks I could take. I needed to SEW!!!! I only had 9 days off from work, so I knew I needed to do something before work "re-consumed" me.

We all have that feeling I know, but I couldn't use a rotary cutter, I could sort of finagle scissors with my left hand, what to do?

I had a jelly roll that had been floating around my studio at the beach house for a while. Well a "1600 quilt" wouldn't be too hard. And it wasn't! (Good link for 1600 or jelly roll quilt instructions).

TaDa! The quilt I made mostly with one hand. This will go to a work colleague who is adopting two children from Eastern Europe. Very expensive proposition, and her family is having a fund raiser. They can raffle it or keep it.



Just doing simple grid quilting on it and I will try to use my "binding attachment by machine" tool. Still cannot do hand work but it's getting better.

Happy quilting!



No comments:

Post a Comment