Monday, December 14, 2009

Fudge Recipe and A Quick Project

It not a wonder I don't make progress on UFO's I am soooo easily distracted.  I was reading the blogs on my Google reader (great feature to see all the feeds you follow in one place) and sewnut (Linda) had a picture of a tea bag holder, a travel mug and a coaster she made for a coworker - It was a great quick gift. I needed a grab for a Yankee Swap for tomorrow and said - this is it!!!
Sewnut/Linda provided a link to the directions for the little container for the tea bags. It was actually designed as a thread catcher.
The link to Sewnut/Linda's project is here
The link the directions for the little thread catcher/tea bag basket is here.

I still need to get a nice mug to go with this for the grab, but this worked up very very quickly.
I also looked for a quick method to make flying geese for the coaster and came across the "no waste" method. I have seen this method before but hadn't saved the link - but I had 4 perfect flying geese in about 5 minutes flat. - I only needed three, but I will find something to do with the other one I am sure!

Here are the photo's of my project. The tea basket/thread catcher had a bit of hand sewing in it. I am going to try my next one using nice matching thread and a satin stitch closure - like the timtex bowls.



























Fudge Recipe
Since I was in here I figured I get the Fudge Recipe up. This recipe was developed by a Chemist at Dupont and my husband's uncle gave it to me. It works perfectly if you follow the directions exactly. The KEY is calibrating the thermometer. Water should boil at 212 degrees F and if your thermometer reads 212 degrees F in boiling water follow the  directions as printed (stop at 234 degrees F).  If not, make a note of the  temperature on the thermometer when the water boils and ADD 22 degrees to this to get the boiling end point.

Uncle Jim's Fudge
Ingredients                   Normal Batch                  Large Batch
Baking Chocolate             2 oz                                    3 oz
Sugar                               2 Cups                                3 Cups
Corn Syrup                 1  TBLS                              1  1/3 TBLS
Evaporated Milk            2/3 Cup                                1 Cup
Butter                           2 TBLS                               3 TBLS
Boiling Temperature                         234 degrees F    
                        OR      22 Degrees Above the temp of boiling water on your thermometer if not 212
Cooling Temperature                       150 degrees F                                       
Vanilla Extract             1 TBLS                              1  1/3 TBLS


PROCEDURE
  1. Melt Chocolate in a two quart pan
  2. Add sugar and mix until it is coated with chocolate
  3. add syrup and milk -- stir until blended
  4. Heat slowly to boiling -- stir to prevent burning
  5. Boil slowly and steadily with occasional stirring until the temperature of the mix reaches exactly 234 degrees F ( or 22 degrees above boiling water temp)
  6. Remove pan from heat, add butter, and blend for NOT more that ONE minute
  7. Cool mixture in air to a temperature of 150 degrees F --DO NOT STIR MIXTURE OR DISTURB IT.
  8. Remove thermometer, add vanilla and stir mixture for two minutes at two strokes per second.
  9. Pour mixture QUICKLY into a greased pan ( I grease with butter)
  10. A normal batch I put in an 8 X 8 pan - the Large batch I put in a 9 1/4 X 6 1/2 X 1 inch pan (Hefty EZ Foil Fudge Pan I get in the supermarket) This fills right to top of the pan.
I let the pan completely cool in air, cover with plastic and put in the refrigerator.

Peace

Mary

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed making the thread catcher/tea bag holder.I had never thought of using it as a little tea bag holder how cute. I know a lot of tea drinkers, once you have made one the rest come easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Distraction... can lead to many interesting places, so don't stop exploring!! I actually won one of those thread catchers at the Christmas party of the guild last week, hadn't really known about them. And thanks for the fudge recipe. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary,
    I couldn't find your e-mail on your profile or your blog, so I'll respond here. I really hope you can come for TM training at Superior. If you have extra days, maybe we could organize trips to some of the local sites.

    ReplyDelete