Sunday, January 17, 2010

Decluttering and Making Room for Quilting

A couple of weeks ago while trying to find space in my small studio room - I realized I needed to get rid of some stuff - actually a lot of stuff! Years ago I was a creative memories consultant. I did enjoy scrapbooking, but I haven't touched a photo, album or a sticker in over 5 years. I had TONS of inventory left from that time in my life and it took up a good 1/3 of my quilting space.  Time for this to go. If I choose to make an album I will get the stuff for just that project.
So I sent an email to all my quilting friends, then everyone I knew in my address book that I was having an open house, selling off stickers, papers, pages, etc etc.
I have an angel on my shoulder, because it turns out next weekend there is a large group of women in my town going on a scrap weekend to Cape Cod!! The email got to several of them as well as a few quilting friends and my DSIL in NH and another person who couldn't come but said put about $50 worth in a package to me and I'll send you a check!!!!
My living room started out looking like this:

With even more than this spread around
Well  - all the bags and totes, albums, lots of paper and stickers went out the door.

I realized the AFTER pictures did not look so dramatic, but I know I got rid of a lot of stuff!! And I will actually put the albums I had worked on on a shelf to look at. They had been put away in all my totes.
My DSIL - is going to take anything I have left over to a group of her friends that are scrapping at the end of February - it is a good thing.
All the proceeds go to pay college tuitions ( I have two)

I am excited - I may now actually be able to get to my design wall!!
There may be more decluttering and organizing in the studio to come.  Watching Libby Lehman on The Quilt Show and how she has everything organized, has got me going - I hate spending time looking for things when I want to sew.

Today & tomorrow when my car is in the shop will be my Block of the Month Bonanaza - working on all 4 BOMS  - tomorrow I can't go anywhere anyway!

Have a great day

Peace
Mary




1 comment:

  1. WOW!! That is truly an amazing result from just the thought of moving that stuff on... and I know you'll be inspired to quilt to your heart's content.

    ReplyDelete