Thursday, February 28, 2013

Quick tip- multi-cutting strips

As a block of the month, I am working on the "Spring Bouquet" quilt from Laundry Basket Quilts. I had seen ads for it for months, and was intrigued by the laser cut appliqué pieces. Timing was perfect because of my hand surgery. No tracing and cutting a "bazillion" appliqué pieces for me.

The LQS near the beach house had the block of the month so I signed up. It will actually be done in 10 months so even better.

This is the quilt.

 

The pieces are all Pre-cut with Steam-a-seam II on the back. It is wonderful

Last weekend I worked on the inner 4 patch border.

These are 1 1/4 inch strips of background and the wonderful batiks used in this quilt.

You have to cut quite a few and I was looking for a way to speed cut the sub-units but remain accurate.

I remembered seeing this technique somewhere, and it came in handy.

All strip sets are pressed to the dark

Then I placed the color on the background aligning one edge to get a group like this. It is very important to keep the top edge of the strip aligned squarely against the seam of the strip set above it.

I put my ruler on the stacked set of strips, using the horizontal lines to match with several of the seam lines to keep the group square and aligned, and clean cut one edge.

Then I rotated my mat, an sub-cut the 11/4 inch two patch strips.

Then I get in the chain piecing zone, and TA-DA, little four patches

More on this quilt as it progresses

Happy quilting!

Mary

 

No comments:

Post a Comment